Saturday, January 4, 2014

To Ignore or Not To Ignore: The Question of Pain


The only thing I dread more than running Orcas later this month, is not being able to run Orcas later this month. And isn't that just the way with runners? I have been ignoring a few aches and mini-pains this past week. I have also been ignoring a throbbingly sore toe. My theory is that same one our parents taught us about younger siblings, bugs, school bullies and all other things annoying-just ignore them and they'll go away. I do believe this is the go-to strategy for most runners and often it works.

If you have ever had a sidelining injury though, you have a nagging-what if voice- that whispers to you as you practice your tried and true "just ignore it" technique. What if this is more than simple soreness? What if a few days' rest doesn't cut it? What if this is a sideliner, again?

That's where I am right now with these little aches and pains. Last week when I was fit and healthy, I had to drag myself out of bed to run. Now that I have to take a few days off to rest, I'm going stir crazy. Being told we can't is so frustrating, even when the one making that call is our own body. My brain says let's do this! My shins and ankles say, Umm, not so sure and my toe says Absolutely not. Absolutely not wins, but what an internal battle it causes.

One of my resolutions this year is to run smarter. Running smarter means listening to my body, weighing it all out-is this soreness or true pain? Will running shake it off or make it worse?-and then making the call. The call right now is no running for a few days. I hate that call.

I'm lucky to have so many running friends and a good coach, too. I talked this whole thing over with Alexa who strongly encouraged another day of rest. She told me again that she feels I have a good base under my belt and I will do fine at Orcas, even with a few extra days of unplanned rest.So tomorrow I will find other ways to have a healthy day and running will have to wait. I knew this was the right thing, but I had to hear it from someone else.

Runners are stubborn. And that stubbornness is what gets us through speed workouts, timed miles, long runs, steep hills and nasty weather. I am actually still in awe of my own stubbornness. I didn't even know I had it in me until I became a runner.Sometimes, though, that stubbornness gets us into trouble. It got me into trouble this past spring and my persistent mind-over-matter attitude landed me on the bench for more than a month.

We can't sit out for every little ache or tweak, however, we have to really keep our eye on our body. I, of course, DO NOT recommend ignoring your pains. I am just acknowledging it as a common strategy amongst runners. We all do it from time to time. Sometimes we can get away with it and sometimes we make our recovery so much harder, longer and more intensive. The truth is we know our bodies well enough to usually know the difference between soreness and pain. Between old familiar aches and new questionable ones. Are we stronger to run through them or are we stronger to take a rest day?

Logic tells me I am a smarter, stronger runner for taking that extra rest day or two. It also tells me resting now will make for a better run at Orcas. Still, I hate the idea of not being able to run and I hate the idea that these little pains might be something worse. I hate the idea of not running this weekend, but even more I hate the possibility of not running Orcas. And there, I said it, as much as Orcas frightens me, the thought of being sidelined for the event upsets me even more. Typical runner.

Runners, what a strange lot we are.

1 comment:

  1. Great one, Aimee. I am glad you are playing it smart. And I'm also excited that I have come far enough as a runner that I feel I can relate to this. Thank you for introducing me into the world of running! :)

    ReplyDelete