Thursday, January 2, 2014

Today


Daily post? Right. About that…I think about posting every day, but it just doesn’t always work out. I think the same might go for you, you want to read my blog each time, but every day is a huge commitment. Let’s consider my lack of publishing a favor then, shall we? And let’s pretend that the days I do publish are quite a treat, sound good?

Today I am feeling pretty good about Orcas. After my first post I received so many great comments, emails, private messages and even a couple of phone calls.  I have had so many kind and genuine people offer to run Orcas with me. I am suddenly the belle of the ball with a very full dance card and a very appreciative heart. Thank you!

This week our payment for the house we are renting is due. The timing is great, as it is a reminder of all the great and fun people I am staying with on this adventure of ours. There will be eleven of us sharing a beautiful home on the island. I can see us on the first night picking our rooms, chatting with our particular roommates, observing each other’s pre-run routines. Then the next night I see us in the main room in pjs, under thick blankets watching movies, rehashing the run, laughing and joking. I imagine some of my roomies to be fantastic cooks who throw together an amazing breakfast on our last morning, while those of us with lesser skills do the dishes or take out the trash. The ferry ride home will be bittersweet as we share stories, more laughter and say good-bye to our fun weekend. (Your mental picture of me should involve peanut M&Ms, as I can't resist those ferry vending machines).

Oh sure, there’s that run in the middle of it all. I haven’t completely forgotten it. It’s the main event, after all. Today, Alexa was kind enough to accompany me on a hike/run at Green Mountain in Bremerton. We hiked up some steep hills and practiced running down. I was cautious, but not frightened. I focused on my technique sometimes, at others I just had my eyes glued to the ground. The latter, obviously, is something to work on, as I don’t want to miss out on the beauty of Orcas. Nor do I want to run right into the person in front of me (not a good way to make/keep friends). Today, though, looking at the ground was quite alright. Alexa and I chatted the whole way down, which is always the perfect distraction for me on the run.

I still have a lot of work to do. At some point I need to think about the vertical uphill climb that is also part of Orcas. I know I need to work on my upper body strength and my poor neglected core. I also need to spend more time on my feet, as it will probably take me around five hours to complete the run. And, though they are not my favorite, I want to continue to find steep hills to run down for practice. There are a few more weeks and plenty of time for me to reflect on my concerns and fears. Today, though, I feel confident saying, “I will finish.” And that is quite an accomplishment. Even better, I can say, “Not only will I finish, but I will be surrounded by friends both on and off the mountain.” And today, that feels like plenty.

2 comments: